Get rid of gray hair without dye? Here are the two solutions I tried (with before and after pictures) • BUDGET FASHIONISTA
How to get rid of gray hair naturally or at least without hair dye? I was beyond permanent hair dyes so I tried to find an answer. Makes it look amazing.. just for a week.
So this is a good news/bad news post. First, good news. There are non-dyeing options to manage and minimize gray hair. I’ve tried two of them and I’ll share my experience below.
And what’s the bad news? We have not found an easy, effective, dye-free method to remove gray hair. I don’t think so.
Natural Gray Hair Solution 1: Supplements
Heyhair’s Gray Escape is a daily supplement that promises to reverse gray hair and promote hair growth for men and women.
Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? But I’ve been taking Hay Hair’s Gray His Escape for 7 months now and I’m pretty sure it works. I say “mostly” because I still have gray hairs left.
There was a time when nearly half of my hair was white. My unscientific guess is that Gray Escape reduced it to about 15%.
But I can’t say if my hair is healthier or growing faster. I started taking Gray Escape around the same time I made other changes to my hair care routine. The change is that I use heat styling tools less often. That’s right, my hair looks healthier. But no, I can’t attribute the improvement entirely to Gray Escape.
Quick Review of Gray Escape Tablets for Gray Hair
- Does gray escape work? Yes, in my experience Gray Escape restored some (but not all) of my natural hair color.
- How to do gray escape? I take 2 tablets daily. Tip: Take 1 every time you brush your teeth. It’s easier to remember.
- How much does Gray Escape cost? If you subscribe to auto-ship, the current price is $30.60 per month. It’s one every month. Since you buy 6 bottles at a time, the price drops to $27 per bottle.
- How long does Gray Escape take? You have to keep taking it to maintain its effect.
- Why should you try Gray Escape? Try Gray Escape for a convenient solution to minimize gray hair. Plan to continue for at least 3 months to see results.
Save 15% with HeyHair
Natural gray hair measures ②: Root treatment
Another non-staining option for gray hair is Hair Mayraki Restore. It’s a gel-like formula that you pump up and rub into your roots. According to product literature, it stimulates the production of melanin to stimulate the natural pigmentation of hair follicles. The formula is vegan and free of sulfates, parabens and formaldehyde.
The million-dollar question is whether it works. Yes, it is. If you follow the instructions, Hair Mayraki’s Restore works more efficiently and faster than Gray Escape.
However, it has its drawbacks. This product will stain everything it touches. This includes nails, pillowcases, clothing, or nearby walls. Therefore, gloves should be worn and nearby surfaces should be covered. If you wear it at night, wear a silk bonnet to bed.
One more note about restore. It not only grows new hair, but also colors existing gray hair. On my hair, the gray areas turn into light auburn. They look like highlights against my normal brunette which is a plus.
Also, I’m not sure how the product would react to my naturally blonde hair.
Hair Mayraki Restore Brief Review
- Does Hair Mayraki Restore remove gray hair? Yes, if you follow the instructions and are diligent about your regular application.
- How to use Hair Meiraki Restore Apply a few pumps to the roots twice daily for the first 3 weeks. After that, the application can be reduced to 3 times a week. (The instructions say maintenance application should be done once or twice a week, but I needed to use it more often.
- How much does Hair Mayraki Restore cost? Not cheap. Price is $98 for two 100ml bottles. I used up 2 bottles in 3 months.
- How long have you been using Hair Mayraki Restore? To maintain effectiveness, it must be used continuously.
- Why use Hair Mayraki Restore? Use if you want a quick solution to gray hair or are willing to go through the hassle of repeated applications.
Save 15% with HeyHair
My gray hair management routine
This is my gray hair story. I started using Hair My La Christia from the latter half of last year. At the time, I dyed my hair with Clairole Natural Instincts, a semi-permanent color.
I was impressed with how Restore worked, but I wasn’t thrilled with the inconvenience of using it. As I mentioned above, it stains everything – like a self-tanner.
In search of a more convenient solution, I tried Gray Escape. The problem is that Gray Escape takes longer to produce results. It actually takes months. So I continued with Restore while taking Gray Escape.
Today, my gray hair regimen is:
- Do Gray Escape twice daily.
- Once a week (or so), use Restore to spot treat problem areas. My problem area with gray hair is the hair in one section of her on each side of her face, above her ears and on the right side of her forehead.
- Full disclosure: I have used semi-permanent dye twice in the last 6 months. This was for recoloring the ends of my hair. My ends were significantly lighter than the roots, a leftover from pre-COVID professional coloring.
Admittedly, my regimen isn’t cheap. Investing in Gray Escape and Restore can put pressure on your beauty budget. In that case, for an affordable solution to gray hair, we recommend Clairol Natural Instincts, available on Amazon for $8.
I’ll also share that I’m not against natural gray hair. Some women can rock gorgeous gray hairstyles…I’m not the only one. When I tried it, it was mottled. Some areas have more gray, others less. It was like a tabby cat, and I didn’t like it.
Ladies, please let me know if you’ve tried other non-dye gray hair solutions.